General Info

Home
Welcome
County History
Pts of Intrest
Weather
Phone book
On-Line Auction
Other Links
Property Maps 

Departments

Archives
Auditor
Auglaize Acres
Brd of Education
Brd. of Elections
Brd. of M.R.D.D
Child Support
Commissioners
Common Pleas
Clerk of Courts
Coronor
Development
Dog Warden
Domestic Court
EMA
Engineer
Fairgrounds
Health Dept.
Jobs & Family
Juvenile Court
Personnel
Municipal Court
Neil Armstrong Airport
One Stop
O.S.U Extension
Probate Court
Prosecuting Attorney
Public Defender
Rec & Parks
Recorder
Regional Plan
Sanitary Eng.
Sheriff
Soil & Water Cons.
Solid Waste & Recy.
Tax Map / GIS
Title Dept.
Treasurer
Veteran Serv.
Victim Assis.

Useful Tools
Disclaimer

                              

                                                            

History of the Auglaize County Courthouse

The first courthouse was built in 1851 on South Blackhoof Street at a cost of $11,499.00

     In the spring of 1893 it was determined that a new courthouse would be erected for Auglaize County.  Julius Kremer, of the firm Kremer and Hart of Columbus, Ohio, was chosen as the architect for the project.  E.M. Campfield & Co., from Findlay, Ohio, was awarded the construction contract for the sum of $102,536.00.  Eighty-five men, at a wage of $1.50 per day, were hired the first month.  An entire city block was purchased for the new building.  Construction began on July 2, 1893 and was completed in early December of 1894.  The total cost including real estate, construction, furnishings, fixtures, and the power house was $259,481.00.

The structure was a massive one. Built entirely of Berea sandstone with tile flooring, it was nearly fire-proof as was possible to construct at that time.  In the powerhouse, on the southwest corner of the courthouse site, were located the electric dynamos which provided the power to light the entire building from the basement to dome, and the boilers that furnished the steam heat for the building.

 

 

       For more than a century, this courthouse has well served the citizens of Auglaize County.  Is has been the place where we have come to register our complaints, to see that justice is done, to pay our taxes, to settle our lawsuits, to purchase our marriage licenses, to review our deeds, to record our deaths, and to do so many other routine activities of a free people.  Since 1894, its rooms and hallways have witnessed great happiness and sorrow.  It still stands today, dignified and solemn, continuing to serve as a source of pride for the people of Auglaize County.

 

 

DESCRIPTION OF THE SEAL OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY, OHIO

 

Designed and drawn by Larry McLean

            Between the outer circle and the inner circle are the words: “SEAL OF AUGLAIZE COUNTY OHIO”.  The style of lettering for these words is Plantin Bold Condensed.  Leaves are between the words Ohio and Seal, and Ohio and County

 

            In the center of the seal between the two “As” is a silhouette of Auglaize County.  Beneath the silhouette is the date “1848” which is the year the county was established.

 

            In the upper left hand section is a drawing of an Indian arrowhead and peace pipe, depicting the counties history and folklore.  The drawing of the Eagle moon lander on the moon depicts the achievement of Neil Armstrong of Auglaize County, the first man on the moon.  The drawing of the factory with a gear in the foreground, depicts commerce and industry.  The drawing of corn and whear, depicts agriculture.

 

 

Description of the Auglaize County Flag

 

     The date “1848” is the year the county was established.  The drawing of an Indian arrowhead and peace pipe, Depicts the counties history and folklore.  The drawing of the Eagle moon lander on the moon depicts the achievement of Neil Armstrong of Auglaize County, the first man on the moon.  The drawing of a factory with a gear in the foreground, depicts commerce and industry.  The drawing of corn and wheat, depicts agriculture.

 

     County Flags FOR SALE only $30.00 while supplies last.

     If you would like information on how to purchase the Auglaize County Flag Please contact the Auglaize County Commissioners at 419-739-6710.